Sunday, November 15, 2009

Weekly Dinner Menu for November 16th- November 22nd

Monday - Chicken Nachos
Tuesday - Date Night
Wednesday - Chicken Quesadillas
Thursday - Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Friday - New Homemade Pizza
Saturday - Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Leftovers
Sunday - Quiche

Notes About Last Week's New Recipes:
Chicken Noodle Casserole - This was a good, easy recipe. It tasted a lot like that chicken and rice casserole dish. I made the full recipe so we had this for 2 dinners...next time I'll just make a half portion.

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken - We didn't like this recipe at all!

Foil Packet Tilapia Slow Cooker Recipe - This was ok, I don't think I'll make it again

*I found both the orange chicken and tilapia recipe on the Year of Slow Cooking website...not 100% sure I'll try another. Please let me know if you find a good recipe from this website so I can give it a try.


*I purchased the pre-seasoned fajita chicken meat and am planning on using it for 4 meals...nachos, quesadillas, and 2 meals of green chile chicken enchiladas. We'll add several sides to each meal as well. Luckily, we love Mexican food! I'll let you know next week if this works out - the meat costs about $6.99 so it would be a great way to save money on meat.


Monday - Chicken Nachos


Tuesday - Date Night



Wednesday - Chicken Quesadillas - 2 Servings
  • Diced cooked chicken
  • 8 flour tortillas
  • About 1 cup of cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese
  • Diced jalapenos (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
I use a griddle to make my quesadillas (since that way I can make them all at once) but a skillet would work great too. If using griddle, I set to 350 degrees. If using skillet, heat over medium high heat. Butter one side of each tortilla. Place tortilla butter side down, spoon and spread chicken, sprinkle cheese and diced jalapenos. Cover with another buttered tortilla - place butter side so it's on the outside of quesadilla. Turn once tortilla has browned to your liking. Repeat same steps for the rest of the tortillas.


Thursday - Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - 8 Servings
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • garlic salt to taste
  • 18 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn in half
  • 1 (28 ounce) can green chile enchilada sauce
  • 1 (16 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) container reduced fat sour cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
  2. Season chicken with garlic salt. Arrange in the prepared baking dish. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Cool, shred, and set aside.
  3. With metal tongs, char each tortilla half over the open flame of a gas stove burner for about 1 minute, until lightly puffed. *I don't do this step. I just warm the tortillas in the microwave.
  4. Pour about 1/2 inch enchilada sauce in the bottom of a medium baking dish, and arrange 6 tortillas in a single layer. In a small bowl, mix all of the chicken, 2/3 of the cheese, and all of the sour cream. Layer half of this chicken/cheese/sour cream on top of the tortillas. Cover mixture with 1/3 of the remaining enchilada sauce. Repeat. Coat remaining tortillas thoroughly with remaining enchilada sauce, and arrange on top of the layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and top with any remaining enchilada sauce
  5. Cover, and bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly before serving.


Friday - New Homemade Pizza

My husband is a HUGE pizza fan!! He recently found this thick crust pizza recipe so we made it last week. We couldn't believe how amazing the crust was!! Just as thick as normal pizzerias!! Our only complaint was that the crust didn't have as much flavor as we liked. This week I'm going to make another thick crust pizza but by using my normal homemade crust recipe. My recipe calls for one packet of dry yeast, which I usually use for 2 different crusts...but this time I'll just use it for one. With such a large crust, we will only need one pizza...usually my family goes through 2 thin crust pizzas!

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 jar Ragu Pizza Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2-4 cups pizza cheese/mozzarella cheese
  • your favorite pizza toppings!
To Make Dough: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, sugar and salt; mix in 1 cup of the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the rest of the flour, until dough is smooth and workable. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, or until it is elastic. Lay dough in a bowl containing 1 teaspoon olive oil, then flip the dough, cover and let rise for 40 minutes, or until almost doubled.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Sauce: Pour half of the Ragu Pizza Sauce into a bowl and mix in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. This will be enough sauce for both pizzas.

Coat pizza pan with cooking oil spray. Take dough and roll onto pan. Spread sauce/brown sugar mixture onto crust. Cover with either pizza blend cheese or mozzarella cheese. Finish with your favorite pizza toppings (my current favorite is pepperoni and the diced jalapenos you buy in a can). Bake in oven for about 20 minutes...until cheese has melted and crust is baked to your liking.


Saturday - Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Leftovers



Sunday - Kelley's Quick Quiche

**If using a 8" thawed unbaked pie shell...

  • 4 slices bacon or thick sliced ham
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • dash salt
  • dash cayenne (red pepper)
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 tablespoon flour
**If using a 9 1/4" or 10" thawed unbaked pie shell...
  • 8 slices bacon or thick sliced ham
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 dashes salt
  • 2 dashes cayenne (red pepper)
  • 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 2 tablespoons flour
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine egg, milk and seasonings. Mix well. Toss cheese with flour. Add cheese and bacon to egg mixture. Pour into pie shell. Bake 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Bake a little longer for larger pie.

Kelley's Notes:"I used the larger pie shell. I used 1 cup+ swiss and 1 cup +sharp cheddar. I also used an entire pack of pre-cooked bacon instead of the 8 slices."

2 comments:

  1. Mary Pat,

    I was told about this website by Lindsay Oler. We're in a "med school wive's club" lol. She has given us several of your recipes. (I love the crockpot ones: french dip sandwiches and pulled pork sandwiches) BUT, we have all tried the green chile chicken enchiladas and LOVE them!!

    This week I'm making 2 recipes from the 365 crockpot blog: asian peanut butter pork and apple, cheddar, turkey meatballs. I promise to come back and post on how they turned out! What a bummer that those other 2 weren't good. I've seen several recipes from that site that don't sound good to me. But, I need to use my crockpot to save time since I'm a teacher.

    Well, thanks again for your recipe ideas. They are such a help.

    -Ashley Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made the chicken noodle casserole tonight and it was a big hit. I added the broccoli and cut the sour cream in half just because 1 cup really looked like a lot. Next time I will probably add some carrots so its even more like chicken noodle soup!

    I am trying the tilapia this week. I have another friend who made it and loved it. We like tilapia a lot so I am hoping its good! Sorry you had no luck with that or the orange chicken.

    ReplyDelete