Sunday, November 29, 2009

Weekly Dinner Menu December 1st - December 6th

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!



Notes About Last Week's New Recipes:

Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic - I'm not a huge sweet potato fan but my husband loves them (and he requested this dish). They turned out great!

Grandma's Green Bean Casserole - This is a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com. They were very tasty!! My husband thought they were too creamy so this dish might not be for you if you don't like sour cream.

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake - This was a huge hit! It was more of a cheesecake with a light pumpkin flavor. I followed other people's reviews and used 3/4 cup of pumpkin pie filling since it was already seasoned. For more of a pumpkin flavor, I would just use more pie filling. I ran into a little bit of drama with this recipe though...Thanksgiving Eve around 10:00pm, I start on this dessert. As I'm ready to start pouring the first layer into the prepared graham cracker crust, I accidentally knock the crust off the counter and it shatters everywhere!! Luckily, my mother-in-law had some graham crackers so I just made my own crust. For a spring form pan: about 15 crushed graham crackers and 2 to 4 tablespoons of melted butter pressed into the pan. For a pie pan: about 5 crushed graham crackers and 1 tablespoon of melted butter pressed into pan.

We will be traveling again this week so there isn't much of a menu to share. BUT I do have one new recipe to pass on to everyone. My mother-in-law made a delicious soup while we were there!! I usually like creamy soups but this broth based Italian Meatball Soup was great!



Italian Meatball Soup 4 to 6 Servings
  • 1 bag (16 oz) frozen Italian meatballs
  • 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) Cannellini beans, undrained
  • 1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes Italian style
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
  • 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
  1. Peel carrots and slice thinly. Cut ends from zucchini and discard. cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then into thin slices.
  2. Heat oil in a 4-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat. Saute carrots and onion 5 minutes. Add zucchini, beans, tomatoes, beef broth, and frozen meatballs. Stir and bring to a boil.
  3. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes - stirring occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, chop basil. Stir basil, salt, and pepper into soup and cook 2 more minutes.
My mother-in-law's notes: she left out the zucchini and basil altogether. She also used Great Northern beans instead of the Cannellini beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment